Tuesday, May 7, 2013

L.A. Times Festival of Books 4-21-2013

I went to the L.A. Times Festival of Books but I didn't blog about it because I was knee-deep in the A-Z challenge.  So, alittle late but...
Here is the gorgeous campus at USC

These sisters, Isabella & Irena De Wardin were promoting their series of books "The Humming Bird" by giving away copies!  It was a family affair.  Their mom was so cute, passing out bookmarks and posters. 

From Left to Right: Ransom Rigg, Melissa de la Cruz, Maureen Johnson, Katherine Marsh, Lisa McMann.
I went on Sunday, so I missed Cassandra Clare's panel.  But this panel entitled "Love and Vengeance, Real & Unreal" was pretty interesting.

This is the second time I had the pleasure of hearing Maureen Johnson speak.  She is hilarious!! She's working on the Bane Chronicles with Cassandra Clare.  Can't Wait!

Ransom Rigg wrote the "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" and is working on the sequel.

Melissa de la Cruz wrote a ton of bestelling novels including the Blue Blood series.  Lifetime is making a 10 part TV series based on her "Witches of East End".  She's writing a new series "The Court of the Last Princess"

Katherine Marsh is the author of "Jepp, Who Defied the Stars" which is historical YA about a court dwarf. 

And Lisa McMann wrote the Wake trilogy (Wake, Fade, and Gone).  She's got a new "Visions" series and "Crash" is the first book in that series.

I found out that some students these days, when they have a book report due, they contact the authors!  During the panel's Q&A, one girl, who probably had a book report due, asked what the theme of the author's books were! lol. This is when the authors started saying how they got asked this question alot!  I never thought about doing that.  Now I know!  And interestingly, two of the authors didn't know what their theme was. 

Here is a unique way to promote your book!  "Grapeshot and Demon" by Vincent P. Scully

Oh and I just happened to wander by Sarah Dessen who was signing, so I picked up "The Truth About Forever"!  I forgot to get a picture (because I was so excited!) 






3 comments:

  1. That sounds like the most brilliant day out. So jealous.
    I was about to ask you if Maureen Johnson was as funny in real life as she is in my head, but clearly yes.
    And I imagine Sara Dessen to be a real sweetie. Confirm or deny, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't really get a chance to talk, just lined up, got my book signed, then got herded away.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a blast! I love that a couple of the authors didn't know what their theme was--I've always wondered why English teachers are so hung up on there always being one :)

    ReplyDelete