Thursday, January 17, 2013

New Goals

Dealing with the illness, then passing of Charlie-cat kind of put everything else on hold.  I've failed miserably in my resolution to finish my 2nd novel by end of January.  I'm only on page 21! So the new goal is

Write everyday.  Maybe I'll be done with a first draft end of February?

My other goal was to post something here twice a week and comment on 5 blogs I read a week.  This resolution is already broken as well.  But I feel I can get back on track here this week.

Finally, I said I would read two books a week.  Which I have been able to do. 

Last week I read  "The Raven Boys" by Maggie Stievater.  I loved her gorgeous, lyrical writing and the plot is tight and works.  I'd give it a five out of five stars!

I would also add a caution if you are a writer.  Don't be reading Maggie Stievater if you're in the middle of your first draft.  Because when I read Maggie's glorious words, all I could think about was how sloppy and amateurish my writing is in comparison.  Which lead to depression: 'Why in the world am I torturing myself trying to write when I will never, ever be as good as Maggie.' Which leads to no writing.  (see 3rd sentence above!)

I picked up "Providence" by Jamie McGuire next.  I really enjoyed her book "Beautiful Disaster" so I figured I'd try it.  It was okay.  A paranormal romance and it looks like her first published work.  As I was reading, I felt a little better about my own writing.  Still not up to par with Jamie's level of writing but I could see myself getting there.  Three stars out of five

Last week I read "Requiem" and "Eden"  which are books 2 and 3 of the Providence Trilogy.  The plot of these two started to repeat themselves and I really had to struggle to get through these.  But I'm not sorry I read them.  I'd give these two books 3 stars as well.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I SO hear you about reading Maggie's works while writing/editing/doing anything writing related. She is way, way too good. I friggin love her stories though :) Sending my condolences for your cat--that's so sad. I hope the rest of the year picks up!

    ReplyDelete