Sunday, January 13, 2013

My Cat Charlie

My cat Charlie had to be put down Friday.  I've been a cat-parent most of my life so I can say that Charlie was the sweetest, gentlest cat it has been my pleasure to know.

I think he knew he wasn't the prettiest cat on the block.  There was something wrong with his tail, he had a permanent kink in it, and he didn't have the white chest and socks that his brother had, but he was a sweetheart.

He'd meow and come running everytime I called his name.  I think I taught him to meow into the phone but that may have been coincidence. He'd be waiting at the door when I got home and followed me around everywhere.  He'd purr the second you paid him any attention.

He lost a ton of weight in June and I took him to the vet (several, in fact).  He had a tumor in his stomach which they removed in July.  He was a fighter, he gained back all his weight but a mere two weeks after the operation, another tumor appeared and it grew over the course of the next six month.  In past two weeks, he started to lose weight again at an alarming rate.  I tried everything - force feeding him high-calorie supplements, appetite stimulants, anti-nausea medication, shots of pain killer, injection of fluids.  Nothing worked and he was suffering.

So finally, on Friday, we had to put him down.  It was heartbreaking but I know he's in a better place.  He'll forever be my pretty pretty Charlie.

1 comment: