Friday, October 5, 2012

Slammed & Point Of Retreat by Colleen Hoover

First off, I have to say I've read "Easy" by Tammara Webber like three times now, I liked it THAT much.

Okay, now that I got that out of my system, here is another set of books I devoured.  "Slammed" and "Point Of Retreat".

"Slammed" Description from Amazon.com:

Falling in love can feel like poetry. Or it can feel like a slam to the heart.
Colleen Hoover’s romantic, emotion-packed debut novel unforgettably captures all the magic and confusion of first love, as two young people forge an unlikely bond before discovering that fate has other plans for them.
Following the unexpected death of her father, eighteen-year-old Layken becomes the rock for both her mother and younger brother. She appears resilient and tenacious, but inside, she's losing hope. Then she meets her new neighbor Will, a handsome twenty-one-year-old whose mere presence leaves her flustered and whose passion for poetry slams thrills her.
Not long after a heart-stopping first date during which each recognizes something profound and familiar in the other, they are slammed to the core when a shocking discovery brings their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together and the forces that tear them apart. Only through the poetry they share are they able to speak the truth that is in their hearts and imagine a future where love is cause for celebration, not regret.

Sometimes two people have to fall apart to realize just how much they belong together.
"Point of Retreat" Description from Amazon.com:

Colleen Hoover entranced readers everywhere with her bestselling novel Slammed, the book that introduced Layken and Will, a young couple whose love overcame devastating hardships to emerge stronger and more resilient than before. Now, as Layken and Will’s emotion-packed story continues, a stunning and unforeseen revelation about Will’s past leaves them questioning everything that they thought they knew about each other. With the foundation of their relationship at risk, they must decide whether they are willing to fight for a future together, or to retreat back into solitude and heartache.

How far does Will have to go to prove to Layken his love for her will last forever? It will require something truly extraordinary to keep this couple together, and the decisions they make and the answers they find will change not only their lives, but the lives of everyone around them.



What I liked

The plot of the first book.  Without giving anything away, it is a real doozy of a situation Will and Lake find themselves in. 

The strength of both the characters.  They both go through some stuff and make choices that my younger, weaker self could never have handled. 

The younger brothers and best friends.  They're funny! They're loveable.

Julia.  You see where Lake gets her strength from.

The slam.  I'm not a fan of poetry but I liked this. Especially the slam that Caulder (Will's younger brother) does towards the end of Point Of Retreat.  It had me in tears.

What I didn't like

Hmm, can't really think of anything.  These are minor, grasping for something to put here so it doesn't sound like an advertorial.

a)  the covers.  C'mon.  They look like text books.
b)  the price.  I'm used to my free/99 cent books.  These are $7.99 each I believe (on kindle).  Still, I'm not sorry I bought them.

OH, and when you're done with both books, go to the author's website and then to "what I'm working on now."  She's got the prologue to the third book up and it is everything I wanted.  I said "Ah!" after reading.

Another 5 out of 5 rating.  I'm on a roll!



3 comments:

  1. All right, already!!! have bought Easy. No pressure for it to be good now. And I am feeling the pressure to like it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been seeing more and more books targeted to the older teens / early 20's audience! Which makes me utterly happy. I hope I get a chance to check these books out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's up to every , since I am genuinely keen of reading this website's post to
    be updated regularly. It consists of nice stuff.


    My homepage see this great post

    ReplyDelete