Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Moreno Brothers Series

These are another of my book binge reads.  I got the first one "Forever Mine" because it was free on kindle.  Which turned out to be a very smart move on the part of the author, Elizabeth Reyes.  Because I finished it in one reading and then immediately got the next and the next and the next.  There are five books in the series and I read them in succession.  Good job!  One free turned into four paid books!  And then she's got a new series which I think I'll check out next book binge.

Description of "Forever Mine" from Amazon
Seventeen-year old Sarah's life is turned upside down when her single mom is sent to jail. She's forced to move, leaving behind everything she's ever known, including her best friend Sydney. Lost and bitter in a new school, her one goal is to save money and move back home. Then she meets Angel Moreno.
Enigmatic but gorgeous, Angel is almost too good to be true. Except for one thing, his archaic belief that guys and girls can never be "just friends". The problem? Sarah's best friend Sydney is not a girl.
With their unexpected romance intensifying to places neither ever experienced, how long can Sarah keep Angel in the dark about the guy waiting for her back home?
YA Mature/New Adult/Contemporary Romance   Books in the series:
  1. Forever Mine (Angel's story)
  2. Always Been Mine (Alex's story)
  3. Sweet Sofie (the youngest sister Sofie's story)
  4. Romero (Angel's best friend's story)
  5. Making You Mine (Sal's story)
What I liked
  • These guys (the brothers and friends) are the guys I grew up with.  As I read them, I felt like the author and I went to the same high school, they felt so 'real'!  These guys swear, have booty calls, act tough and sometimes do stupid things.  They also are romantic, loyal, and have good hearts.
  • Multiple Generation Ethnicity.  I'm so glad to see these stories feature ethnic character but the author doesn't beat you over the head with it.  Just like most second-third-fourth generation Hispanics, they're English-Speaking dominant.  To the point where one of the brothers is failing Spanish because he only knows the curse words! I loved this!
  • That the author didn't try to do a trilogy.  I LOVE that each of the books is a complete story.  The stories intertwine and I got a kick out of reading a scene from Character A's POV and then reading the same scene from Character Bs POV in a different book.
  • That the author didn't try to force the stories into YA or New Adult categories.  The stories cross the lines/borders.  Be warned - there is swearing - a lot of it.  And there is sex - I wouldn't say a lot, but it is probably more graphic and detailed than you're used to in YA. And the themes, especially in the later books are mature, adult themes.  I didn't have a problem mainly because I'm well past the YA age. 
What I didn't like
  • Typos - there were a lot.  Especially towards the end of each book.  Like whomever was checking for the typos got tired in the end.  I usually am cool with a few - I get that at these prices, not too many can afford a proofreader.  But this was noticeable.
  • Some of the later books could have done with more editing.  The first few were tight and fine.  The later ones, I found myself editing as I read.
Overall, though, the series was addicting, easy to read, and an enjoyable way to spend 5 days.  I'm giving the series 4 stars - I liked it but you might not.


 

1 comment:

  1. i got the first one on kindle for free as well...glad to know you enjoyed them so much!

    ReplyDelete