Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Book Review - Easy by Tammara Webber

I picked up this book because I think my critique partner mentioned the author and because the author of the Moreno Brothers series - Elizabeth Reyes mentions that Tammara Webber is her critique partner. 
I picked it up despite the title. The title "Easy" has a whole set of connotations in my mind.  Even when reading, I kept trying to figure out what the title has to do with the story.  Anyway,  I'm glad I picked it up.  I very much enjoyed this book too!

Here is the description from Amazon:

A girl who believes trust can be misplaced, promises are made to be broken, and loyalty is an illusion. A boy who believes truth is relative, lies can mask unbearable pain, and guilt is eternal. Will what they find in each other validate their conclusions, or disprove them all?
When Jacqueline follows her longtime boyfriend to the college of his choice, the last thing she expects is a breakup two months into sophomore year. After two weeks in shock, she wakes up to her new reality: she's single, attending a state university instead of a music conservatory, ignored by her former circle of friends, and failing a class for the first time in her life.
Leaving a party alone, Jacqueline is assaulted by her ex's frat brother. Rescued by a stranger who seems to be in the right place at the right time, she wants nothing more than to forget the attack and that night--but her savior, Lucas, sits on the back row of her econ class, sketching in a notebook and staring at her. Her friends nominate him to be the perfect rebound.
When her attacker turns stalker, Jacqueline has a choice: crumple in defeat or learn to fight back. Lucas remains protective, but he's hiding secrets of his own. Suddenly appearances are everything, and knowing who to trust is anything but easy.

(Mature Young Adult/ New Adult)

What I liked:
  • The romance.  Oh so cute!  I figured it out way before the main character but still, loved it.
  • The heroes.  Mysterious Lucas is inked all over and sports a ring in his lip. At first glance, not the kind of guy you take home to meet the parents.  The tutor you only meet through e-mail but you fall in love with anyway.  You fall in love with them both despite their appearance or without even knowing what they look like.
  • Strong heroine.  Jacqueline doesn't become a victim, she fights back.
  • Doesn't follow the formulaic YA romance plot. 
  • I really love, love, loved the ending.   
What I didn't like
  • I know it probably isn't PC but I found the chapters on self-defense classes to be a little long.  Good, good, excellent info.  But sort of started to sound textbook-y. 
  • The title.  "Easy" makes it sound like Jacqueline is easy; as in she's a loose woman.  Not at all what she is and not what the title refers to.  You don't get what the title means until the very end.  Don't be put off by the title.
I'm giving this one five stars - Go read it!

1 comment:

  1. I just downloaded this to my Kindle. I haven't got a chance to start it yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

    Great review,
    Michelle

    www.michelle-pickett.com

    ReplyDelete