Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Two good books

I read these two books this past summer and I'm still thinking about them, so I thought I'd share a little about each:

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Set in the future (yes, another dystopian story) about a girl with the power to kill by touch.  Yeah, reminds me of Rogue from X-Men but totally different.  The government captures her and tries to use her as a weapon.

The writing style was unique and effective and the plot was spot on.

There was a kind of an ending even though it is the first in a trilogy.

I'd give it four stars.

The other book I read this summer I really liked is

Under The Never Sky by Veronica Rossi.  Another dystopian tale.  This time, one about a future in which the citizens live under glass domed cities.  Aria is one of those citizens until some horsing around leads to a terrible tragedy and she's forced outside of the safety of the dome into the outer wastelands.

I really liked the world the author created and the surprising reveals.  I had a little bit of a quibble with how the main character and the love interest Perry, flipped overnight from squabbling to being in love but other than that, really good read.

Four stars here too.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Under the Never Sky, but have yet to read Shatter Me, it's been on my TBR list for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shatter Me was so fun! I'm really looking forward to the next one (though, I never really understood the cover--it's kind of random?). I haven't picked up UTNS yet, but I've seen it so many times that I really need to--it looks like lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete