Saturday, June 16, 2012

My Cat Charlie


I've been an infrequent blogger for the past month and a half - here is why:

For the last month or so, my cat Charlie has been losing weight.  He went from 20 pounds to 7.  So I took him to the vet.  Several, in fact.  The first vet took x-rays and did bloodwork and said he had some kind of cancer of the stomach or intestines.  He said there was nothing that could be done.

I took Charlie home and was depressed for a day.  And then I decided I was going to fight this.  So I've been force feeding Charlie some nutritional supplement gel and giving him vitamins.  I also did some research online and found a vet with great reviews.  She specializes in cats.  So I loaded up the cat carrier and took Charlie to see her.  It took some doing - she's very busy.  But she operated on Charlie.  He had a tumor in his colon, not the stomach or intestines.

Today I brought him home from surgery.  The above is Charlie showing of his stitches.  He's still really skinny but he seems active and he's eating! yay!

He's got a weird bald spot on his tummy where they shaved him and you can see his stitches, but Charlie was never the prettiest cat to begin with.  I'm just happy he is home and that he has a second chance.

3 comments:

  1. Aww, I'm so glad you were able to get a diagnosis and treatment for Charlie. Pets are such an integral part of a family. Personally, I think he's beautiful. I love his coloring. But I'm a cat (and dog, bird, fish…etc.) lover.

    Charlie is very lucky that he has you. Good for you for not taking "no" for an answer! You kept digging until you found a doctor who would do something and saved Charlie's life.

    Michelle and Jack (the cat)
    www.michelle-pickett.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Charliecat is home!! Bet Chester is glad to have his buddy back. Was it an emotinal reunion, or is Chester just chuffed to be having the special food service again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear Charlie is back. Perhaps a milkshake will help add some weight. After all, it is milk based.....

    Jan (aka Anonymous)

    ReplyDelete