Tuesday, May 15, 2012

"Colors Like Memories" Blog Tour Stops Here Today


Today I am honored to be hosting Meradeth Houston as part of the blog tour for her brand-spanking new novel "Colors Like Memories".  I first started following her blog when she started posting photos from her travels to Spain and then Japan.  So I asked her to write about how her adventures inspire her writing. 

Take it away, Meradeth!

Thanks a million for hosting me today! I’m pretty stoked to get to talk about two of my favorite things: traveling, and my writing :) Before I forget, I do have a contest running for my blog tour—all commenter’s are entered into a drawing for two copies of my book, and one person will win a $25 giftcard to Amazon or Barnes & Noble. There are more details on my home blog, if you want to check it out!

Those of you who have seen me around the web lately may know that my husband and I have been on a Grand Adventure the past few months (it deserves caps, trust me!). After finishing our schooling, we decided to take advantage of the rare time we have right now where we’re not tied down by jobs, kids, a mortgage, you know, normal life kind of stuff. So, we took off. It was all rather last minute (everything with my husband is last minute…) and we headed to Barcelona, Spain. We were there for over two months, living in an apartment downtown. We had a blast, got to know the city, met tons of great people, and otherwise had a wonderful time. We recently packed up and came to Japan and we’re now starting all over again in Kyoto. Can I just say that I adore Japanese food? Yum!! Alright, I’m really not trying to make people jealous. I swear. There were a lot of crappy things that had to happen for us to get off our butts and Carpe Diem. Buuut, I’m really glad we did :)

Okay, so what on earth does this have to do with writing? Well, that’s a really good question. I don’t know about you, but visiting new and different places always gives me ideas for new stories. Or, stories about characters that I already know and love. I can’t help but wonder just what my main character would think of a certain store, a painting, of if she’d enjoy going to the beach more than the new museum exhibit. And experiencing new things, especially different ways of living (hello living in a big city as opposed to a small town, or living in a traditional Japanese house), always provide interesting details for future stories, or create new ones in and of themselves. I find this particularly helpful when I’m writing about the Sary, mainly because they’re immortal and regularly get shuffled around to different parts of the world. It really helps fill in fun little details when I have some experience with whatever they’ve done!

And, then there’s taking photos. I may have a little obsession with this :) I’m including a few of my favorites from Spain and Japan (so far). I have a bunch more on my blog, haha! I find them personally inspiring, just because they remind me of fun things I’ve done with my hubby.


Barcelona. Photo by Meradeth Houston

Japan. Photo by Meradeth Houston

Inquiring minds want to know: do you have a place that you’ve visited that inspired a story or book?

A bit about the Colors Like Memories:

Julia has a secret: she killed the guy she loved. It was an accident—sort of.

Julia is a Sary, the soul of a child who died before taking her first breath. Without this 'breath of life' she and others like her must help those on the verge of suicide. It's a job Julia used to enjoy, until the accident that claimed her boyfriend’s life—an accident she knows was her fault. If living with the guilt weren't enough, she's now assigned to help a girl dealing with the loss of her mother, something Julia's not exactly the best role model for. If she can't figure out a way to help her, Julia's going to lose her position in the Sary, something she swore to her boyfriend would never happen.

Release date: May 11th 2012 from MuseItUp Publishing.

A bit about Meradeth Houston:

Meradeth’s never been a big fan of talking about herself, but if you really want to know, here are some random tidbits about her:
  • She’s a Northern California girl. This generally means she talks too fast and use "like" a lot.
  • When she’s not writing, she’s sequencing dead people’s DNA. For fun!
  • She’s been writing since she was 11 years old. It's her hobby, her passion, and she’s so happy to get to share her work!
  • If she could have a super-power, it would totally be flying. Which is a little strange, because she’s terrified of heights.


And here is where you can find her and her novel:

http://www.meradethhouston.com/
http://meradethhouston.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/MeradethHouston
www.goodreads.com/book/show/13030422-colors-like-memories
http://www.facebook.com/ColorsLikeMemories

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for hosting me today! I'm dropping links all over the web :) (And I so love your blog background--so pretty!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Meradeth,

    LOVE the fact that you and the Hubster are doing so many fab. things now before Life kicks in.... trust me, what you're doing now will soooo keep you going in a few years when the kids are crying, the car is on the fritz and one of you has to work late... again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark! That was the plan--I do hope it helps with "real" life down the road :)

      Delete
  3. Think it's wonderful that you like to experience different things and express that through your writing. Thank you for being an encourager. Just wanted to nominate you for the Beautiful Blogger Award. Come by to pick it up! http://sherilswift.blogspot.com/2012/05/beautiful-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheri! And congrats to Fairview on the award!

      Delete
    2. Yes, thanks so much Sheri!

      Delete
  4. What a great post! Meradeth, you have the coolest 2012 of anyone I know - no matter what life tossed you to get off your butts and carpe diem! :)

    Fairview, LOVE your blog - it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey I've given you an award over at my blog!! http://www.lifeisgood-forever21.blogspot.com/2012/05/kreative-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete