Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Anachronisms


Went to the Renaissance Pleasure Faire this weekend.  This is the closest I'm ever going to get to time travel.  Basically, the Irwindale Dam gets converted to the town of Port Deptford, England during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I.


Here is the Queen.  It is about 90 degrees out and she's got brocade on and layers of clothing on. I felt bad for all the costumed performers.



Anyway, lots of pomp and pageantry.  And despite the heat, I had a really good time.  But when I was sorting through pictures, some things started to bother me. 

Like the wands for sale. Um? Harry Potter?



They had a joust!  It was fun to watch.  It reminded me of those old western shoot-outs at Universal Studios Tour.  Can you guess which knight is the hero and which one is the villain? 

They even had sword fighting complete with fake blood!  Real crowd pleaser, this jousting.

But hold on! Weren't knights and jousting part of Medieval Times?  (I only know this because of the dinner show called "Medieval Times", and you know, I've seen "Camelot" a few times.


And there was this fellow standing at the exit.  Isn't he a pilgrim?  Dusted off his costume from Thanksgiving?

I like this photo for the sign in the back, and the sunglasses the lady on the right is wearing.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, I have been to one of these in California. They encourage the goers to dress in costume as well. I wanted to go in a Star Trek costume and play Jim Kirk, but my then girlfriend naysayed it The party pooper).

    Yeah, the last pic is best. I also noticed the guy in the last pic had a plastic stein. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I'm siding with your girlfriend on this one. lol I didn't even notice the plastic stein! Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, it was, except for the heat...

      Delete
  3. "Email us"?? Haha! And I'm going to guess that the dark haired guy on the darker horse is the villain, and the guy with lighter hair, lighter horse and red whatever-you-call-it draped over the horse, is the hero :-)

    ReplyDelete