Sunday, April 22, 2012

L.A. Times Festival of Books


Today I went on a little adventure to the L.A. Times Festival of Books.  It couldn't have turned out better.  I usually get all uptight and plan everything down to the last detail.  But that usually leads to frustration so I decided I was just going to go with the flow and see where it took me.

I got on the metrolink because I read they had a free shuttle running from Union Station to the fest.  The train came immediately and when I got off at Union Station, there were three shuttle buses ready and waiting.  I hopped on and it took off to USC. 

Once there, I headed over to the ticket booth.  I had one objective and that was to attend the panel that my current favorite author, Maggie Stiefvater was on.  I get there and there is no line, they had plenty of tickets.  Yay! 

So then I head over to the Children/YA section.  All these books I wanted.  I had to restrain myself because I already have two huge stacks of books sitting on my desk, waiting to be read.  I did pick up Jessica Therrien's Oppression because I wanted to support a first time local area author and the book sounds good.


They had a whole stage devoted to YA! This is (L to R) John Stephenson, Alyson Noel, and Cornelia Funke.  Of course I had to laugh when I heard a woman refer to it as the 'Ya' stage - as in 'ya know...'.

The main event, the panel I attended was entitled "Young Adult Fiction, The Wide Lens" and the panelists were Maggie, Jacqueline Woodson, Lauren Myracle, and Maureen Johnson.  All the heavy hitters!  It was quite enjoyable as these ladies were quite funny.  They told stories of how they first started writing.  Maggie wrote a story told from the POV of a flagpole!

Lauren told a story of how her writing class in college had 14 people in it and the next phase only had room for 12 people and it was she and another girl who wrote stories from the POV of an aphid that didn't move forward.  (her and bug girl she called it).  I think Lauren's book "Shine" was the one that got mixed up with "Chime" in that big mistake over a the National book award nomination. Totally not her fault and  yet she had to withdraw her nomination?  That didn't seem fair to me. 

But here is a link as we weren't allowed to take photos.


http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2012/04/festival-of-books-maggie-stiefvater-ya.html
 
I was hoping to get a copy of Maggie's "Shiver" signed but they didn't have anything but "Scorpio Races" available and I've already bought five copies of that (Christmas gifts etc) so I came home emptyhanded.
 
Still, all in all, except for the sunburn, a fun day.
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for getting my book!! :) It was so much fun, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the reasons why I miss LA. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to go to this year one year. Maybe when my girls are a little older and can enjoy it .

    ReplyDelete