Monday, March 26, 2012

Book Review - The Lure of Shapinsay by Krista Holle

Description from Amazon.com


Ever since Kait Swanney could remember, the old crones of the village have been warning her to stay away from the selkies. They claim that like sirens of old, the seal men creep from the inky waters, shed their skins, and entice women to their deaths beneath the North Sea. But avoiding an encounter becomes impossible when Kait is spotted at the water’s edge, moments after the murder of a half-selkie infant.

Kait is awoken unexpectedly by a beautiful, naked selkie man seeking revenge. After she declares her innocence, the intruder darts into the night, but not before inadvertently bewitching her with an overpowering lure.

Kait obsesses over a reunion deep beneath the bay and risks her own life to be reunited with her selkie. But when she lands the dangerous lover, the chaos that follows leaves Kait little time to wonder—is it love setting her on fire or has she simply been lured?


Here is a trailer!




What I liked
The main character, Kait Swanney is a strong, independent young woman who speaks her own mind and makes her own decisions.  Pretty tough cookie for 1800’s Scotland.
The mythology of the ‘selkie’ was something I’d briefly heard about and I think Melissa Marr wrote a short story about in an anthology I read.  That was the extent of my knowledge.  This story fills in all the gaps in a way that makes sense.
Kait’s obsession with Eamon, the selkie, is written well so that I believed and understood Kait’s actions.
The story ends in an unexpected but fitting way.
What I didn’t like
The middle drags.  I think the problem is that the “girl gets boy” part happens too quickly.  So all through the middle of the book I dreaded the “girl loses boy” part.
There were characters that were just there as plot devices.  Like Kait’s best friend who has the half-selkie baby.  She’s  there for a chapter  or so in the beginning to kick off the story.  An old hag who may or may not be crazy shows up halfway through the book.
Oh, and there is some “mating” going on.  Nothing graphic but not appropriate for younger teens.
_______________

I’m giving it 4 out of 5 stars – I liked it but you might not.

Oh, and I almost forgot - I received an e-book copy in exchange for my honest review.


1 comment:

  1. "Mating"? Okay, I don't know why that makes me snicker a little :) Otherwise, sounds like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete