Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Those who can, write.


 Sister got into a very prestigious professional writer's program.  One of ten selected.

Critique partner #3 won a scholarship to San Francisco Writer's Conference this weekend.

Plus I found out today that CP#1 is (and has been for a while) a working writer who is actually paid for her words!!!

I'm genuinely happy for all of them.  But at the same time, I'm wondering what the heck have I been doing all this time? 

In my own not-so-humble mind, I'm at least as talented as sis.  I'm the original critique partner who had the guts to tell her "this sucks" when no one else would. 

Maybe it is the old adage, those who can, do, those who can't, teach? Or in my case, those who can, write.  She who can't, critiques?

Although, in sis' case, she teaches at the university level as well as writes so there goes that theory...

Today is one of those days where I spent my writing time fixing all the things crit partners found wrong with what I thought was a very polished and hopefully last draft of my WIP.  I keep making the same mistakes and the CPs keep calling me on it.  I feel like I should know better at this point.

It is one of the days when I feel extremely sorry for myself, like I should just box the thing up and put it in the attic. Plus it is raining and cold out.  Do you hear the violin music?  It's a pity party!
 

8 comments:

  1. Hey, you're allowed pity parties. You're a writer.

    Just wait. Your time will come. Sounds like you have some pretty good CPs. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you CK. I do have good CPs. But I think there comes a time when I need to stop revising, bite the bullet and put my stuff out there instead of whining continually to anyone who will listen.

      That is what I intend to do! (pity party is over).

      Delete
    2. Are you thinking of posting any of it to your website?

      Delete
  2. Yes, absolutely, after this current round of revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't feel so bad about others succeeding. Just think of it this way, as they get better, you benefit more from their critiques and then you get better! It sounds like you're on the right track. :)

    I'm also tagging you in a game of 11 questions. Head over to annamittower.blogspot.com to pick your questions up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darned, and I almost got away untagged! Will do. Thank you, I don't mean to sound ungrateful.

      Delete
  4. We're all allowed a pity party or two in our lifetime. :) The test is whether you push through it or not...and you will.

    I've never used a CP. Do they help?

    Michelle :)
    www.michelle-pickett.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes absolutely CPs help if you find the right ones. Hmm, I think I just figured out my next post!

      Delete