Wednesday, February 8, 2012

ROW80 Wednesday Feb 8 Check in

Here is the update on my goals

Writing - yes, still slogging on the revision.  I finally turned in 50 pages to CP #1.  This is after 3 months.  Ugh!!  Now it is pins and needles until she sends comments. 

Finding my critique group is helpful.  One person in particular reminds me continually about the need for "constant conflict" and not to use the words really, just, very, etc.  Another is all about "attributes" (can I confess I had no idea what an attribute was?) and 'was-ings' which is try not to use the phrase 'X was X-ing'.  I am the POV police.  You see, we all have our roles to play within the critique group.

Exercise - when I joined fancy-schmancy gym, it came with free training session and pilates session.  I had my training session this past weekend and the day after, I could barely walk, barely lift my arm. Sore all over.  Stayed in bed.  But I went back to the gym yesterday so I'm on goal here.  Pilates Saturday.  "I can't wait." Can you hear the sarcasm?

Eating Healthy - well, yes, I tried.  I loaded up on pre-made salads to bring with me to lunch.  Only I started reading the label today whilst eating.  500 calories! for a salad?  Oy!  I didn't want to do the Lean Cuisine frozen 300 calorie entrees because of all the sodium... Hmm.  Any suggestions for low cal lunches?
And then this morning, since everyone was hung-over I brought doughnuts.  And I may have had one...

18 comments:

  1. I'm baffled; salad is usually zero calories -have you checked it's not the sauces that come with pre-packed salads? If so, I'd make my own salad (therapeutic in the preparation and delish when eating); I'd use a simple salt, lemon juice and olive oil dressing -yogurt would go well with that too. :)

    Anyway, I digress too much (as usual). You are set on your goals -way to go! You are doing great. :) Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is probably the dressing. I'm definitely going to try the dressing you suggest above.

      Delete
  2. Hello! I'm following you from the campaign! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to meet your goals.

    As far as eating healthy, one of my critique partners told me we should eat like a king for breakfast, a queen at lunch and a princess at dinner.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are in the same group for the platform-building campaign so I thought I would stop by and say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Nice to meet you from the campaign. And just so you know - it took me four months to get my first 50 ready for my CPs. No worries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you do an in-person critique group or online? I've never joined a "real" group and sometimes wonder... although I do love my online writing communities.

    Sugar is my downfall! I do soup for a low-cal lunch, especially this time of year when it's cold.

    So glad we'll be campaigning together again. Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an awesome critique partner online. We met on Maggie Stiefvater's match-up last year.

      Also have a YA Critique group we meet every two weeks but we read aloud and critique on the spot which I find very hard to do.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for stopping by, I am excited about the campaign. I had a tough time with crit groups at first but once I started to listen they helped me immensely. I want a chocolate donut so bad right now:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack. Now I want a donut! Ha. Thank you for stopping by as well.

      Delete
  8. Stopping by to say hello from the Campaign! Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad we're in the same group again! I LOVE the new look of the blog - so fun!

    My in-person group used to do the read aloud and critique on the spot thing too, and I also had a hard time with it. I was still trying to scribble suggestions for the first paragraph by the time they finished reading the whole thing. I'm so glad we've now switched to submitting ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly. And then when I try to write notes, I miss the next part of the reading and get hopelessly lost.

      Delete