Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Review - Sleeping Handsome by Jean Haus

This is a book I picked up on Amazon because it was FREE.  I was surprised at how good it is.

Here is the description from Amazon:

Paige should have never agreed to do her best friend’s semester English project. Community service sucks. Especially when you have a major social life. But it’s that or possible expulsion from school. Reading to a boy in a coma is just plain creepy, but her English teacher somehow thinks her acting skills make it the perfect community service match.

But when she finds the boy’s journal hidden among his books, things turn from creepy to interesting. Very interesting. The boy who looked like death slowly comes alive as she reads his own words to him. And each day Paige is wishing more and more he would wake up.

This is a novelette length story.

And a warning for those sensitive to profanity, this story contains some.
--------------------------

I'm not posting the cover because, well, it needs a better one.

As you may guess from the title and the description, this is a re-telling of the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale.
But as I read it and got into it I completely forgot that it was a re-telling.  To the point that I gasped at one point towards the end.  When I thought about it later, I should have known.  But still...
Very cute, easy read (easy to read all in one sitting)

And, well, you can't beat the price.

If you like the current trend of fairy tale retellings, and even if you don't but like your sweet YA, go get this.

Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Handsome-ebook/dp/B006OGOVM2

I'm giving it five stars.    I just liked it very much.

5 comments:

  1. Just downloaded it! You can't beat a free book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo. . . it's so rare that something like that turns out to be good. But, since you speak so highly of it, I'm going to have to check it out.

    Also: You've been tagged! http://iwriteandread.blogspot.com/2012/02/wip-wednesday-week-3-and-tag-youre-it.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, check out the book. She's written two full length novels that are somewhat darker.

      Delete
  3. I got this book free also. The story premise sounded interesting. So I started to read it...and was surprised at how good it was. It captured my interest right away and held it. I couldn't wait to see what came next. And though I'm 51, somehow I could step into the mind of this teenage girl and identify with how she felt. Yes, there is some swearing in it but not enough to ruin the story; and a few gramatical errors but I overlooked those, too. Jean Haus has a talent for story-telling. I can't wait to read her other books.

    ReplyDelete