- 200 words or less = check!
- start with "Shadows crept across the wall" = check!
- end with "everything faded" = almost... I have "everything else faded"
- include the word "orange" = check!
- write in the genre you normally write = check (for me YA)
- make your story 200 words exactly = check.
He wasn’t coming.
I signaled the waitress, ignoring her pitying expression. She’d let me sit there all afternoon. I put a fifty into the tray for my one latte.
I’d been away at university for nine lonely months. But I was in L.A. for the summer and Spence was joining me. Supposedly.
I checked my phone one more time.
Maybe he’d met someone. L.A. was the land of beautiful people and Spence fit right in with his GQ model looks. I didn’t fit, what with my Bozo the Clown carrot-orange hair and pale, freckled skin.
Still, when we were together he made me feel beautiful and important. Was it any wonder I loved him?
I stumbled out onto the sidewalk, tears stinging as I walked to my car.
Only Spence called me that. I turned to see him emerge from a yellow cab.
“I wasn’t sure you’d still be here. Lost my phone and the plane was late.” He ran a hand through his hair.
My mascara was probably running. I didn’t care. I crushed him to me, pulled his lips to mine.
Everything else faded.