Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Office Holiday Lunch

Was last week.  I've only just recovered enough to write about it.  It was fun fun fun.  First off, our boss owns the restaurant so we could order whatever we wanted from the bar and menu.  He said even if it wasn't on the menu, if we wanted it and the chef knew how to make it, they would accomodate us!  (okay, this is yet another post about food disguised as a posting about an office party).  I had a wonderful Halibut on some kind of pilaf with seasonal vegetables.  And all kinds of appetizers.  I had a long drive home so I didn't drink anything alcoholic but the diet coke was plentiful!


And then the games began.  First there were door prizes.  Everyone won something. Some people won booby prizes like whopee cushions.  I won a snicker's bar (I thought) but I looked deeper and found some money!
Then we had trivial pursuit.  I somehow ended up with a twenty-dollar question!  And the answer (which I knew) was Madonna (the singer). 
Then we had Bingo.
Yeah, I was ready to go home at that point.  But wait, there's more!










The White Elephant Gift exchange.  Have you heard how "White Elephant" got it's name?  This is what I found when I Googled it:

"Legend has it the rare albino elephant was sacred in Thailand and each new white elephant became the property of the king. It was forbidden to kill such an elephant or to use it for work, so whenever the king wished to punish an obnoxious underling, he'd present him with one of these useless pale pachyderms.
Even if the story isn't true, it certainly encompasses the spirit of modern White Elephant Gift Exchanges. More like a swap meet for unwanted, weird and regifted atrocities, a White Elephant is tons of fun and makes a great party ice-breaker."

These were the hits (traded three times each - the max).  I did my version of blocking out the faces to protect the not-so-innocent.

Santa Blanket and Cap
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Reindeer cap (the antlers move, light up, and play music)  comes with a six pack of bud.










A good time was had by all!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds fun! I'm digging the holiday makeover to the blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete