Saturday, November 26, 2011

Revision Day 3: Index Cards & Next steps

The Index card thing proved invaluable.  Things I learned
  •  I have 81 scenes in 36 chapters. 
  • Some of the scenes are not needed as they don't add anything to the overall story arc.
  • Some scenes are in the wrong place. 
  • I see holes! Where I need to fill in info for the reader or scenes that need to be added.
I don't write from an outline so this is the price I pay.  I would recommend doing the index card thing if you're a pantser like me.

I think I'm ready to start re-writing now.  This is how I plan to do it:
  • A scene or two at a time
  • Start in the middle since I've rewritten the beginning and end numerous times and sort of glossed over the middle.
  • Use the Dean Koontz method - rewrite every page 30 times.  Okay that may be a little extreme.  Maybe rewrite it "several times"  Each time, try to focus on different things:
    • Show vs. Tell
    • Avoid actually/just/even/really/very/-ing
    • Character
      • perception
      • consistency
      • voice
      • arc
    • Plot
    • Description
(see that's only five times)  I don't know, probably going to drive myself crazy.  I'll try it and let you know how it goes

No comments:

Post a Comment