Saturday, November 12, 2011

Review - Flat Out Love

Friday evenings seem to be the night I curl up with a good book.  Last night I stayed up reading this one - Flat Out Love by Jessica Park.


I resisted buying this book for the longest time because of the cheesy title, even though it is high on the Amazon best-seller list.  Turns out the title isn't what I thought. It is actually quite humorous considering one of the main characters is a cardboard cut-out.


Here is the description from Amazon:


Something is seriously off in the Watkins home. And Julie Seagle, college freshman, small-town Ohio transplant, and the newest resident of this Boston house, is determined to get to the bottom of it. When Julie's off-campus housing falls through, her mother's old college roommate, Erin Watkins, invites her to move in. The parents, Erin and Roger, are welcoming, but emotionally distant and academically driven to eccentric extremes. The middle child, Matt, is an MIT tech geek with a sweet side ... and the social skills of a spool of USB cable. The youngest, Celeste, is a frighteningly bright but freakishly fastidious 13-year-old who hauls around a life-sized cardboard cutout of her oldest brother almost everywhere she goes.


Dialogue
The dialogue, voices of these characters is amazing!  There are e-mails, facebook statuses, face to face dialogue and internal monologues all natural, authentic to age group and most of all, funny!  The facebook statuses and discussions on physics and mathematics are hilarious.  I wish I could write like this author!


Plot
Not so good.  I mean you can figure out the mystery by reading the full synopsis on Amazon.  I found myself screaming (internally, of course) at the main character, Julie because she is so clueless for so much of the book.  I kept wanting to skip ahead to the end but was frustrated because I bought it on kindle and there are no chapter breaks so you can't skip ahead.
However, the book depicts Julie falling in love in a realistic and believable way


Romance
Just two skimpy little scenes at the end.  Too little too late in my opinion.  What was there was very hot and nice, though...


My rating - 3 stars out of 5 which is "liked it more than I didn't like it"

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm. I love the description, but your analysis leaves me undecided. I guess it can't hurt to put it on my list and give it a try. I hadn't heard of this one. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you bet. Yeah, for me it was 50/50. Let me know what you feel after raeding?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flat-Out Love is fantastic! The story easily drew me in. Julie Seagle is a girl from Ohio who heads to Boston to attend Whitney College. When she arrives in Boston though the housing her mother had arranged for her fell thru, well actually it was a deal gone bad on Craigslist. So Julie is in Boston and has no place to go until her mother calls her old college friend Erin Watkins. Erin immediately sends her son Matt to pick Julie up inviting her to come stay with them until she can find a place to stay. The Watkins family welcomes Julie into their lives, but something doesn't seem right. Erin and Ron seem a bit distant, Finn the older brother is traveling abroad, Matt is immersed in school and thirteen year old Celeste is carrying around a life sized cut out she calls Flat Finn which is a life sized cut out of her older brother Finn. As Julie continues to grow closer to the Watkins will she figure out what's going on in the family?

    ReplyDelete