Sunday, October 2, 2011

Vanish - Review

After reading Firelight by Sophie Jordan, I had to immediately get Vanish, which is the second book in the series.  Vanish is the continuing story of Jacinda who is a 'Draki' - a dragon who can shift into human form.  Jacinda was special amongst her Draki kind because she was a firebreather.  

You can read about Firelight in an earlier post.  Anyway, at the end of that book and the beginning of this one, Jacinda, her twin sister Tamra, and their mom have been recaptured and returned to the 'pride'.  Tamra has never morphed into a dragon and everyone thought she was a genetic defect, never going to turn Draki.  Well, in a moment of terror from being chased, she morphs into another special kind of dragon, one that has mind controlling powers, a sort of psychic dragon.  

So all of a sudden, her hair turns whitish blonde.  (That's her on the cover).  And while her talent is not as rare as Jacinda's (there is one other with her talent), she is now as highly regarded as Jacinda used to be.  

Jacinda returns to the pride in disgrace and almost gets her wings clipped.  It is only the intervention of Cassian (the Draki who was supposed to be her mate) that saves her.  Now Tamra has always been in love with Cassian but he never gave her the time of day.  Now that she's special, will  Cassian change?  And Jacinda is still in love with the human (and dragon hunter) Will.  

Yes, the author is still awfully good at writing smoulder, longing, and kissing scenes.  Turns out she writes historical romances too.  No wonder. . .  And the plotting is very good.  And I love the two sisters.

But its a cliffhanger ending again, and the third book isn't out.  Won't be out until next year, I'm thinking.  I hate cliffhangers.

But I gotta give it five stars again - Liked it and recommend it.



 

1 comment:

  1. Vanish had me hooked from the first page to the cliffhanger ending. I couldn't stop reading it, I just wanted more. When you finish that last page you will be begging for book 3. I know I am. Sophie outdid herself on this one. It was one of the best books I've read this year!

    ReplyDelete