Sunday, October 9, 2011

Review - A Certain Slant of Light

I bought this book because I read this article saying that Summit Entertainment had optioned the book and is making it into a movie.  They also said this was the next "Twilight."

This book is not about glittery vampires, but ghosts.
Helen is 130 years old and clings from host to host.
By host, she means that she travels with them.  If she gets too far away from them, she starts to feel herself sinking back into the darkness of mud, water, ice.  She isn't evil, content to observe and inspire.

Her current host is Mr. Brown, an English High School teacher.  One day, a boy, Billy comes into Mr. Brown's classroom after a long absence, and he can see her and and hear her.

This book was a good quick read.  I can totally see why Summit bought it.  It will translate very well to the screen.  Also, the plot and pacing move along quite nicely and the ending makes a lot of sense, for the most part.  And I liked that it wasn't part of a 12-book series.  Seriously, I don't know how there could have been a sequel.  And there are tons of comments about the sex on Amazon's reviews so I'm not giving anything away.  There's sex, quite a bit for a YA book.

But is it really YA?  Helen is 130 years old and was a wife and mother when she died.  Her love interest is also an old soul.  And the way she speaks/thinks is adult. 

I liked this book very much but if I had a nit-pick - it was kind of an instant, or should I say, only choice romance.  There wasn't much development of the love story.  It was more that they were looking for someone to connect to for so long that when Helen's love interest shows up, it was kind of instantaneous.

Is it the next "Twilight"?  I don't think so.  I was missing the sense of yearning, longing, desire that Bella has for Edward.  It was something most of us can identify with. 


There isn't the rabid demand for the book like for Twilight.  Or, at least that I can tell.  Nobody has midnight release parties anymore.  I don't see Team James, Team Billy sites on the internet. Maybe that is still to come. 

The article I read said that 'Ghosts are the new Vampires'.  I don't think so.  At least not yet.

Regardless I give it 5 stars - Liked it and recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment