Thursday, October 6, 2011

8 - Not a Review

Today I got a request for a review of this book.
"8: The Previously Untold Story of the Previously Unknown 8th Dwarf"

Here is the blurb I was sent:

Written in verse and just 2,200 words, 8 is the story of Creepy, who is banished to the cottage basement for being different. From there, he affects the plot of the original fairy tale when Snow White (an intruder Creepy refers to as "The Maid") happens upon their dwelling.

It's Tim Burton meets Wicked in a tale with heart reviewers have called "superb", "clever" and "charming". The theme of being ostracized for being different is crafted to appeal to tween, teen and up.
 
 
 
Well, I don't read a lot of verse.  In fact, I don't read any verse.  So I didn't think I could even begin to review it.  I told the author this and he understood.
 
But I was flattered that he reached out so I figured it couldn't hurt to at least put up his blurb and a photo.  Oh and you can get it wherever e-books are sold.  Here is a link:
 
http://www.amazon.com/8-ebook/dp/B004BLJ9R4/




This got me thinking, though.  When I buy a book and read it, I feel totally within my rights to give a book a lower rating if I don't like it.  Now, I wonder if I can be as objective if I get a book for free or if I have had contact with the author?
 
When I was in the film industry, I used to see a lot of movies for free.  And I noticed I tended to enjoy a movie more if it was free than if I paid to see a movie. Same theory applies here, I think.
 
Plus I would feel really bad giving a bad review to an author who reached out.  I'd probably offer them the option to not post my review and just write it up. 
 
To anyone who reviews books, how do you handle?

No comments:

Post a Comment