Saturday, September 3, 2011

Heart On A Chain

Yeah, the second book I read tonight because I was procrastinating doing the writing thing...

"Heart On A Chain" tells the story of Kate who is the pariah at her high school.  Bullied because she only owns clothes that are second-hand, only gets one meal a day - the state sponsored lunch program.  No friends, beat up by mean girls. Horrific life at home.

Into her pathetic life walks Henry, gorgeous super smart, perfect in every way.  They had a history together - they were in grade school together and Henry gave Kate a valentine in 6th grade and her first kiss..

I don't think I need to fill in the rest of the details.  And I think that is part of the problem - it was kind of predictable. And the characters, well, they were kind of stereotypes.

If you think Kate's life could get any more pathetic, then you thought wrong.  The author just keeps piling on the next and the next bad thing to happen to Kate.  Still, she's skilled enough to make you cry.  Even as you know the author is manipulating you to do so

And Henry; he's so perfect in every way. No flaws whatsoever but that kind of makes Prince Charming kind of uninteresting.  And his family? Well I think I got a cavity as I read about them.

So if you buy into the concept of a "good cry" being cathartic, then this book is for you!  I was in this kind of mood so it is getting a 4 star rating from me.

* * * *  4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment