Tuesday, September 6, 2011

First Campaigner Challenge

The door swung open with a slow creak, despite the lack of a rational explanation for the movement. There was only the irrational. A cold trickle of sweat ran down my back as I caught a little flash of something out of the corner of my eye. I shivered despite the August heat.

"Alex?" I called out to the empty room, the powder blue paint with the chocolate trim the only reminder that this was once his bedroom; the place we'd done "it" when his parents were out of town, the place he'd pledged his love, the place he'd come to die, still promising we'd be together forever.

But they were bulldozing the house next week and I was eager for one last look at the four walls that held my dearest memories. Alex, my love Alex, appeared to me then, his green eyes were as I remembered, twinkling just the same. He bowed to me, holding the door open for me, motioning me through. I laughed at his formality, the sound echoing eerily through the shell of the house as I stepped over the threshold and through the rotted floorboards, feeling my bones shatter as the door swung shut.

10 comments:

  1. Trying desperately to hold on to memories ... a poignant reflection on love lost !
    My entry is no.#59

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chilling - definitely a chilling ending. I wasn't sure where you were going with it at first and then BAM - literally ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice - sadness and the supernatural combined. Was it really a ghost or just her memories overwhelming her? It's left up to us, which makes it powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. I read it twice, and came away with the sense that the past is the past, and if one doesn't leave it behind, they risk not having a future. I liked it...alot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought she was simply reliving lost love. Not so lost anymore. Love the twist. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your kind comments all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an intense story about love and loss. Great job!

    ReplyDelete