Sunday, September 18, 2011

Bloodlines Richelle Mead

I just finished reading Bloodlines.  I think I may have mentioned my love of Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series just a few times...  What I admired was the world that the author built, the rules of that universe and how creative it was.

Bloodlines is set in that same universe but with a different lead character.  Sydney Sage is an Alchemist which is a special group of people who are dedicated to protecting humans from the knowledge that vampires exist.  They're kind of a secret service for the vampires, cleaning up after them, keeping them hidden, but with the understanding that vampires are abominations. 

Sydney is asked to pose as an older sister and roommate to vampire Jill.  Jill is sister to the queen of the vampire court and there was an attempt on her life.  So Jill is sent to a place where no one would suspect a vampire would go - Palm Springs with her bodyguard- a half-vampire named Eddie, Adrian (who was in the VA series) and another Alchemist Keith.


I think that is supposed to be Adrian and Sydney on the cover.

While I enjoyed reading this book, there were some weaknesses. 
I figured out the plot after the second chapter.  And the book felt kind of like a episode, not a novel.  Which is probably because I know this is a "series" as well. 

That is what is kind of frustrates me about books in series in general.  And that is why I stopped reading the Maximum Ride books and the Morganville Vampire series.  The stories start to get stale when you start wondering when the next appearance of the 'roundabout kick' is going to appear or when the next bout of amnesia is going to kick in and erase everybody's memories. 

Not that the author of VA did that, but still, I wanted more of the relationship/character building and less of the mystery solving in this first book.

Nonetheless, it was a treat to revisit the cross-over characters from VA in this new book.  And all the new characters are great, you immediately get them and what they're about.  And who am I to criticize anyway, I can only aspire to be as good a writer (and as prolific - she writes two other adult series at the same time) AND she writes a great blog. 

I'm giving it a 4 star rating in my rating system - which is "liked it, but not sure you will"

No comments:

Post a Comment