Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Far East Chop Suey

The first time I saw it, I was kind of offended.  What is a Chinese Restaurant doing in Little Tokyo?  Also, isn't the term "chop suey" an Americanized version of the real Chinese word(s)?

Anyway, I did some digging and the restaurant has been there since 1935 because "Japanese people like Chinese food" says the owner.

In my personal experience, this is true.  Everytime we traveled with my Father, no matter where we were (Mexico, South Dakota, etc) he'd always be looking for a Chinese restaurant.

We ate here a few times, My Dad and me.  It is as you expect an 1935 restaurant to be - very dark.  Kind of like you'd find in a Raymond Chandler novel.

Turns out they filmed a scene from  "Farewell My Lovely" with Robert Mitchum here.  Figures...

No comments:

Post a Comment