Sunday, May 15, 2011

Before I Fall

I think I'm way late on reading this.  It was published last year.  But I didn't discover it until this weekend.  It is described as "Groundhog Day meets Mean Girls". 

The main character is one a group of four of the most popular girls at her high school.  She is truly a 'mean girl' when the book opens, completely self-absorbed, cruel to those who aren't her social equals.  It is a Friday night, February 13th (Cupid Day), and after attending a party with lots of booze and pot, the girls pile into their hummer and drive off. 

Something happens, and Samantha (Sam for short) wakes up and it is Friday morning again...

I really liked this book and how Sam changes over the course of the day that she repeats over and over.  By the end of the book, you feel for her, when you hated her in the beginning.  I admire how the author was able to not make it boring when basically, it is the retelling of the same story over and over.

But mostly, I like how the ending was so appropriate.  (not giving it away). But I would definitely recommend.  Yeah, it is teens but I think the themes transcend age.  There is some frank talk about sex, drugs, and stuff so probably not for grade or middle schoolers.

No comments:

Post a Comment