Sunday, February 20, 2011

Borders

So the other day I got an e-mail letting me know that my local Borders, Books, and Music was closing due to the Bankruptcy.  They were having a closing sale.  This is the ad I got.


So I went today, as I had a few books I wanted to pick up. 

Well, I got there and there were big signs saying "10-30% off everything".  So I was mad off the bat, since my e-mail (see left) had higher percents off.  Isn't this false advertising?  Isn't this called 'bait and switch'?

Well, I was there already so I looked around.  The place was a dump.  Like, they already let all the clerks go, because nobody was re-shelving.  I couldn't find any of the books I wanted in the sections they were supposed to be in.  I checked near the cashiers area and sure enough, two of the books on my list were there.  Ha! 

But I couldn't figure out how much they were discounted without trudging back to the area they were supposed to be in so I could see the signs that were posted to let me know how much they were discounted.

When I figured it out, buying on kindle was still cheaper than the discounted borders price.  No wonder they're bankrupt.

Plus too, the lines were like an hour wait to buy stuff.  A few people just went out the door with their books.  The alarm rang, but there weren't enough staff to go chasing after them.  No wonder they're bankrupt.

I remember going there a few times during the holiday season and being accosted by the salesperson in a cheap suit selling their e-reader.  They were dressed like thoreminded me of those Jehovah's witnesses selling their Bibles door-to-door.  Their e-readers were over $200.  Again, no wonder they're bankrupt.

I went home, no books because they were overpriced, understaffed, and I didn't feel like standing in line for an hour to save a dollar.

I'm supporting my local independent bookseller - and hope you will too.

1 comment:

  1. i got the email again! same discount. these folks are crazy if they think i'm falling for this ploy again!,,

    ReplyDelete